Looking for PCI express SCSI diff card recommendations
Dan Langille
2019-01-13 22:22:08 UTC
I have an existing SCSI differential PCI card which works. I want to consolidate
some services into another chassis, so I am looking for a similar / equivalent card
for a PCIE slot.

This is a photo of the connector, showing the SCS symbol. https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240 <https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240>

I am looking for help in locating a replacement. I do not know what to search for.

I think that is a n HD68 connector, but I'm failing to find something on eBay.

Guidance please, especially if you can think of a model number to search for.

Thank you.
--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
***@langille.org

Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
Scott Long

Dan Langille
2019-01-13 22:29:11 UTC
This is more for an existing ancient tape library. It may be easier to buy a new motherboard which has both a PCI and an PCIE slot.
--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
Scott Long

David Gwynne

Scott Long
2019-01-13 23:18:45 UTC
Yeah, I should have said that there’s nothing modern and in active production for parallel SCSI. I’d recommend against the Adaptec product, the driver hasn’t been maintained in years. The LSI one might work, but I have no recent experience with it. You’ll need to get an LVD to HVD converter. I found this one:

http://iec.net/product/ultra320-to-hvd-scsi-converter/

It’s pretty pricey since it’s so niche. HVD was a source of many rack fires back in the day, I seriously recommend being cautious with this is.

Scott
Ken Merry
2019-01-14 14:10:43 UTC
So, if you’re interested in newer tape drives / libraries, the connection options are FC, SAS or (lately) RoCE. The first two work fine, but I have yet to be able to test/qualify a RoCE drive with FreeBSD. For FC, get a Qlogic board (up to 16Gb is supported now) or a 16Gb or newer Emulex board. Both drivers support FC-Tape. I have had much more experience with the Qlogic driver, but the Emulex driver does seem to work fine. For SAS, get an LSI/Broadcom 12Gb or 6Gb board. They support TLR, which is the SAS equivalent of FC-Tape.

The only current tape drive vendor is IBM, and you can get LTO (LTO-8 is the latest, 12TB/30TB per tape) or TS drives (TS1160 is the latest, 20TB/50TB) from them. TS only makes sense for people with a big enterprise budget.

I believe HP stopped making their own tape drives at LTO-6. Anything HP-branded that is LTO-7 or newer is going to be an IBM drive under the hood.

If you want a tape library, there are a number of options. I know from copious experience (yes I work there) that Spectra Logic libraries work well with FreeBSD, and their support is good. IBM should also work fine, and really, most libraries should work with FreeBSD without an issue.

If you want to use LTFS on FreeBSD, I ported IBM’s LTFS to FreeBSD:

https://github.com/LinearTapeFileSystem/ltfs <https://github.com/LinearTapeFileSystem/ltfs>

You would need an IBM LTO-5 or newer tape drive. LTFS is helpful, but keep in mind it isn’t a backup package in and of itself. It doesn’t manage multiple tapes, it just gives you a filesystem on a tape.

As for SCSI adapters, I have a several ahc(4) boards in a machine running FreeBSD/head and talking to SCSI and CD devices. The driver seems to work fine.

One thing to consider if you’re switching machines and looking at buying new hardware, is whether your current tape library is still sufficient for your needs in terms of speed and capacity. Rather than putting the money towards an LVD to HVD converter, you could put it toward a new tape drive or library.

Another thing to consider is using hard drives for backup. That might work, depending on your requirements for durability and shelf life for the media. I’m guessing that buying a number of enterprise SATA (or SAS) drives would probably be cheaper than buying even a used library, media and FC or SAS card.

Ken

Ken Merry
Kevin P. Neal
2019-01-14 14:26:31 UTC
Post by Ken Merry
https://github.com/LinearTapeFileSystem/ltfs <https://github.com/LinearTapeFileSystem/ltfs>
Any chance of that getting merged into the FreeBSD repo and becoming
officially supported?
--
Kevin P. Neal http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/
"Oh, I've heard that paradox a couple of times, but there's something
- Dr. Donald Knuth speaking of Schrodinger's cat, December 8, 1999, MIT
Dan Langille
2019-01-14 14:49:09 UTC
So, if you’re interested in newer tape drives / libraries, the connection options are FC, SAS or (lately) RoCE. The first two work fine, but I have yet to be able to test/qualify a RoCE drive with FreeBSD. For FC, get a Qlogic board (up to 16Gb is supported now) or a 16Gb or newer Emulex board. Both drivers support FC-Tape. I have had much more experience with the Qlogic driver, but the Emulex driver does seem to work fine. For SAS, get an LSI/Broadcom 12Gb or 6Gb board. They support TLR, which is the SAS equivalent of FC-Tape.
The only current tape drive vendor is IBM, and you can get LTO (LTO-8 is the latest, 12TB/30TB per tape) or TS drives (TS1160 is the latest, 20TB/50TB) from them. TS only makes sense for people with a big enterprise budget.
In my case, this is for home use, where I have no budget for tape libraries. The units I have are all production-cast-offs via kind donations. Mind you, I did buy a Digital TL891 back in 2006 and it still works. Photo of that beast here: https://www.freebsddiary.org/digital-tl891.php <https://www.freebsddiary.org/digital-tl891.php> <--- that is the unit for which I wanted a new SCSI card, but now I think the easiest solution is to find another M/B (see below).
I believe HP stopped making their own tape drives at LTO-6. Anything HP-branded that is LTO-7 or newer is going to be an IBM drive under the hood.
If you want a tape library, there are a number of options. I know from copious experience (yes I work there) that Spectra Logic libraries work well with FreeBSD, and their support is good. IBM should also work fine, and really, most libraries should work with FreeBSD without an issue.
I'm using a Dell TL4000 just now, connected via a SAS card (see below). The other two tape libraries are legacy use only, for older backups.
https://github.com/LinearTapeFileSystem/ltfs <https://github.com/LinearTapeFileSystem/ltfs>
Wow, that's pretty nifty. Thanks.
You would need an IBM LTO-5 or newer tape drive. LTFS is helpful, but keep in mind it isn’t a backup package in and of itself. It doesn’t manage multiple tapes, it just gives you a filesystem on a tape.
I can see where that might be useful for restores.
As for SCSI adapters, I have a several ahc(4) boards in a machine running FreeBSD/head and talking to SCSI and CD devices. The driver seems to work fine.
One thing to consider if you’re switching machines and looking at buying new hardware, is whether your current tape library is still sufficient for your needs in terms of speed and capacity. Rather than putting the money towards an LVD to HVD converter, you could put it toward a new tape drive or library.
The tape library in question is a DLT-7000, and it not used for active backups. It is retained only for older backups.

Current backups are to an LTO-4 tape library, vis a SAS2308 (Avago Technologies / LSI) card. That is working well.

I do have one M/B which has an both PCI and PCIE slots. I think the easiest short term solution is to move both cards into a chassis with that M/B. No purchase necessary.
Another thing to consider is using hard drives for backup. That might work, depending on your requirements for durability and shelf life for the media. I’m guessing that buying a number of enterprise SATA (or SAS) drives would probably be cheaper than buying even a used library, media and FC or SAS card.
I backup to disk first, then copy to tape later. Both steps are handled by Bacula, the backup package I'm using.

Thank you.
Ken
—
Ken Merry
This is a photo of the connector, showing the SCS symbol. https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240 <https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240> <https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240 <https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240>>
Kenneth D. Merry
2019-01-14 14:49:27 UTC
Post by Kevin P. Neal
Post by Ken Merry
https://github.com/LinearTapeFileSystem/ltfs <https://github.com/LinearTapeFileSystem/ltfs>
Any chance of that getting merged into the FreeBSD repo and becoming
officially supported?
It would probably make the most sense to put it in the ports tree. It is a
FUSE-based filesystem, and therefore easily installable as a port. Making
it a port would also make it easier to keep up to date with IBM's
development. (It is under active development.)

As far as putting it in the base system, I think it is something that will
get used as a standalone filesystem fairly infrequently. Very few people
will have an IBM LTO-5 or newer drive / library. And most people shelling
out the money for any amount of tape are either going to run a backup
package or archive package on it, not just LTFS by itself.

So, with stock FreeBSD, you would most likely run Bacula or Amanda for
backup usage. I'm not sure if there are commercial backup packages with
FreeBSD support. If you want a commercial FreeBSD-based archive product
that will manage your tape library and do a lot more:

https://spectralogic.com/products/blackpearl/

BlackPearl uses LTFS as its tape storage format, so that even if you want
to switch to something else later on, you aren't "stuck" with a proprietary
tape format. It can also import other vendors' LTFS-formatted tapes,
assuming they follow the standard...

If someone would like to make a port out of LTFS, that's fine with me...
(Just a little busy with other stuff right now, and I'm not a ports
committer.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
***@FreeBSD.ORG

Ken Merry
2019-01-14 20:09:05 UTC
Looks good, thank you!

I put a couple of comments in there about tape drive compatibility and configuring the kernel so you can write larger tape blocks.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken Merry
Post by Kevin Bowling
Ken,
Give this a try https://reviews.freebsd.org/D18841 - if Spectra has
any config or rc scripts or whatever that I should add send it my way.
Regards,
Kevin
Kevin Bowling

Kenneth D. Merry
2019-01-14 20:29:05 UTC
Post by Dan Langille
[...]
Very understandable. The last tape drive I actually bought myself was a
standalone DDS-4 drive. Most of the rest of my personal tape hardware has
been donated, and is all pretty old at this stage. (Which is useful for
tape driver compatibility testing, though.)
Post by Dan Langille
I believe HP stopped making their own tape drives at LTO-6. Anything HP-branded that is LTO-7 or newer is going to be an IBM drive under the hood.
If you want a tape library, there are a number of options. I know from copious experience (yes I work there) that Spectra Logic libraries work well with FreeBSD, and their support is good. IBM should also work fine, and really, most libraries should work with FreeBSD without an issue.
I'm using a Dell TL4000 just now, connected via a SAS card (see below). The other two tape libraries are legacy use only, for older backups.
Ahh, ok.
Post by Dan Langille
https://github.com/LinearTapeFileSystem/ltfs <https://github.com/LinearTapeFileSystem/ltfs>
Wow, that's pretty nifty. Thanks.
You would need an IBM LTO-5 or newer tape drive. LTFS is helpful, but keep in mind it isn???t a backup package in and of itself. It doesn???t manage multiple tapes, it just gives you a filesystem on a tape.
I can see where that might be useful for restores.
Yes, it would be handy for reading one-off tapes. For regular use, though,
you'd probably want something else. The performance of LTFS running via
FUSE is also somewhat slow, due to the added latency of the extra trips into
and out of the kernel.
Post by Dan Langille
As for SCSI adapters, I have a several ahc(4) boards in a machine running FreeBSD/head and talking to SCSI and CD devices. The driver seems to work fine.
One thing to consider if you???re switching machines and looking at buying new hardware, is whether your current tape library is still sufficient for your needs in terms of speed and capacity. Rather than putting the money towards an LVD to HVD converter, you could put it toward a new tape drive or library.
The tape library in question is a DLT-7000, and it not used for active backups. It is retained only for older backups.
Current backups are to an LTO-4 tape library, vis a SAS2308 (Avago Technologies / LSI) card. That is working well.
I do have one M/B which has an both PCI and PCIE slots. I think the easiest short term solution is to move both cards into a chassis with that M/B. No purchase necessary.
That sounds like an ideal solution for your situation.
Post by Dan Langille
Another thing to consider is using hard drives for backup. That might work, depending on your requirements for durability and shelf life for the media. I???m guessing that buying a number of enterprise SATA (or SAS) drives would probably be cheaper than buying even a used library, media and FC or SAS card.
I backup to disk first, then copy to tape later. Both steps are handled by Bacula, the backup package I'm using.
Ahh. If you decide to retire the tape library later on, you can always just
backup to disk and put the backup disks on the shelf. (I've been doing
that for a long time, ZFS makes it pretty easy.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
***@FreeBSD.ORG

Harry Schmalzbauer
2019-01-19 09:13:55 UTC
Post by Dan Langille
I have an existing SCSI differential PCI card which works. I want to consolidate
some services into another chassis, so I am looking for a similar / equivalent card
for a PCIE slot.
This is a photo of the connector, showing the SCS symbol. https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240 <https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240>
I am looking for help in locating a replacement. I do not know what to search for.
Not sure if I understood the problem correctly.
Are you looking for HVD or LVD?
The latter is no problem, there's plenty of LSI20320IE, which use the
53c1020F and a PLX PCI-X<->PCIe bridge.
There's also a quiet well maintained Dell OEM firmware which added boot
support improvement which I don't remeber all, but I'm running this
firmware also on HP and original LSI cards (make sure to check the chip
revision, there's a difference in 1030[""|"T"], while the latter is
similar to 1020F – ATTENTION, please read yourself the correct numbers,
just typing from memory, might not be exactly correct!
(all to IT firmware, IR is another sotry, I never had a 53c1030 with
Raid Firmware in operation)

vhdci68->hd68 cables are no problem to get, so I guess it doesn't matter
that the 20320IE has VHDCI as opposed to one card shown in your picters,
which has HD68.
I also used the 20320 in SE mode. No problems besides implcit SE
limitations.
If it's about HVD, I can't tell much.  I guess I have a RS/6000 with an
HVD controller, but never found time to check/play.

You can look for firmware here: ftp://ftp.omnilan.depub/firmware/
[Dell|LSI].  Somtimes I x-linked compatible images, but not for the
53c1030 as far as I could see.

Best,

-harry

P.S.: Has anybody used HPs Tape boot firmware feature?  Always wondered
how they implemented this and if it really works with what drives on
what hosts...
Harry Schmalzbauer
2019-01-19 09:17:09 UTC
Post by Dan Langille
I have an existing SCSI differential PCI card which works. I want to consolidate
some services into another chassis, so I am looking for a similar / equivalent card
for a PCIE slot.
This is a photo of the connector, showing the SCS symbol.
https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240
<https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1084566640887562240>
I am looking for help in locating a replacement. I do not know what to search for.
Sorry for the noise, my MUA kept all the other answers hidden... Just
forget it, of course tohers already mentione LSI20320IE

-harry

Kevin Day
2019-01-13 22:28:51 UTC
Hey, Dan!

I went through this a while ago - If you're looking for a LVD SCSI card on a PCIe system, I believe the only option that was made that you're likely able to find now is the Adaptec 29320LPE. It's long been discontinued, but still available from a few sources as of now:

https://www.disctech.com/Adaptec-29320-U320-LVD-SCSI-Controllers-PCI-Express