SAS3808 PCI-E 4.0, FreeBSD / ZFS support ?
Ben RUBSON
2021-05-28 05:34:53 UTC

Looking to buy SuperMicro SSG-540P-E1CTR36L, bringing a SAS3808 based PCI-E 4.0 adapter.

Everyone knows SAS2008 (PCI-E 2.0) and SAS3008 (PCI-E 3.0) as widely advised when working with ZFS.

But what about SAS 3808 ? I did not find much experience sharing, especially about its FreeBSD support, and ZFS compatibility level.
As SAS3808 has twice the PCI bus bandwidth as the SAS3008, could be useful with large JBODs.

Thank you very much !

Kind regards,

Ben

//already posted at fs@, but scsi@ is certainly more relevant here, sorry for double post

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
Gary Palmer
2021-05-28 12:47:54 UTC
Post by Ben RUBSON
Hi,
Looking to buy SuperMicro SSG-540P-E1CTR36L, bringing a SAS3808 based PCI-E 4.0 adapter.
Everyone knows SAS2008 (PCI-E 2.0) and SAS3008 (PCI-E 3.0) as widely advised when working with ZFS.
But what about SAS 3808 ? I did not find much experience sharing, especially about its FreeBSD support, and ZFS compatibility level.
As SAS3808 has twice the PCI bus bandwidth as the SAS3008, could be useful with large JBODs.
Thank you very much !
Kind regards,
Ben
I don't see any driver for FreeBSD on the "HBA 9500-8i Tri-Mode Storage
Adapter" page on broadcom.com, which is a 3808 based card. "mpr" man
page in FreeBSD 12 doesn't mention support, neither does FreeBSD 13
but there is some code in the driver for the 3816. Not sure why 3816
is mentioned but not 3808.

Regards,

Gary

Ben RUBSON
2021-05-31 09:26:03 UTC
Post by Gary Palmer
Post by Ben RUBSON
Hi,
[...]
Hi Gary,

Many thanks for your inputs and feedback.
There's at least a FreeBSD download available for this HBA, the STORCLI utility, but no driver.
However the specifications, as well as the product brief PDF file, mention FreeBSD support...

CC'ing Sreekanth & Kashyap from Broadcom, feel free if you have any info !

Trying to decide whether or not I build my whole new 3-nodes storage infrastructure upon these PCI-E 4.0 adapters, or if I go with the already widely approved SAS3008...

Thank you again !

Kind regards,

Ben

Sreekanth Reddy via scsi
2021-06-04 06:03:29 UTC
Hi Ben,

SAS3808 & SAS3816 HBA cards supported through mpr driver. Broadcom supports
FreeBSD OS driver (i.e. mpr) only through inbox driver and hence users
won't be able to find the out-of-box driver (that we used to provide
earlier) in the Broadcom's download site.

Thanks,
Sreekanth
Post by Ben RUBSON
Post by Gary Palmer
Hi,
Post by Gary Palmer
Post by Ben RUBSON
As SAS3808 has twice the PCI bus bandwidth as the SAS3008, could be
useful with large JBODs.
Post by Gary Palmer
Post by Ben RUBSON
Thank you very much !
Kind regards,
Ben
sorry for double post
Ben
Ben RUBSON
2021-06-04 08:45:35 UTC
Hi Sreekanth,

Glad to hear from you, pretty good news, many thanks !

Do you have any feedback regarding SAS3808/SAS3816 reliability with FreeBSD ?
Especially compared to the widely approved (let's say now in some kind "bug-free") SAS2008/SAS3008.
I think we're still scared about strange bugs which could corrupt data, silent corruptions or anything like that...

Thank you again for your support,

Kind regards,

Ben
Post by Sreekanth Reddy via scsi
Hi Ben,
SAS3808 & SAS3816 HBA cards supported through mpr driver. Broadcom supports FreeBSD OS driver (i.e. mpr) only through inbox driver and hence users won't be able to find the out-of-box driver (that we used to provide earlier) in the Broadcom's download site.
Thanks,
Sreekanth
Post by Gary Palmer
Hi,