mfi troubles (Unexpected Sense)
Dmitry Morozovsky
2018-07-15 20:27:11 UTC
Colleagues,

one of my servers start to expose unexpected delays possibly related to disk
subsystems.

It's Supemicro with mfi, ZFS on set of RAID0 (yes, I know we've missed the
right controller, but this is out of question at least for the current time)

Now kernel log is filled with messages like

mfi0: 60006 (585001405s/0x0002/info) - Unexpected sense: PD 0e(e0x08/s5) Path
500304800021bf31, CDB: 8f 00 00 00 00 00 14 77 5c 1e 00 00 10 00 00 00, Sense:
3/11/00

every few seconds

I tried to find the place in the source which produce these lines but failed :(

Hard reboot, including full power off, was tried, but did not help.

Any hints to diagnose this further?

Ah, and this is stable/10 from Nov 2017

please keep me CC:d as I'm not subscribed to -scsi@

Thanks!
--
Sincerely,
D.Marck [DM5020, MCK-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]

Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
Dmitry Morozovsky
2018-07-15 21:18:32 UTC
Rick,
"Unexpected sense" is generally something an LSI controller says when a disk
is going bad. PD identifies the physical disk involved.
If this is RAID 0 I would be very afraid, you are about to lose all of your
data. Actually I would always be very afraid with RAID 0. Make sure you have
a good backup.
As I said, it's zfs with raidz2 (12 disks each of them in RAID0, cause this
particular controller does not support JBOD exporting), so data integrity is
not an issue (yet)

the question is -- how can I identify the disk in question? mfiutil says
everything's ok, and no red lights are on physical drive cages

Thanks!

Douglas Gilbert
2018-07-15 22:46:20 UTC
Post by Dmitry Morozovsky
Colleagues,
one of my servers start to expose unexpected delays possibly related to disk
subsystems.
It's Supemicro with mfi, ZFS on set of RAID0 (yes, I know we've missed the
right controller, but this is out of question at least for the current time)
Now kernel log is filled with messages like
mfi0: 60006 (585001405s/0x0002/info) - Unexpected sense: PD 0e(e0x08/s5) Path
3/11/00
every few seconds
That's a SCSI VERIFY(16) command with a sense key of medium error and
additional sense of 'unrecovered read error'. [Note to FreeBSD SCSI
maintainers: how about some leading '0x' or trailing 'h' for hex numbers ??]

Translation: a disk is dying, probably associated with NAA 0x500304800021bf31.

Is there any enclosure management? A device like /dev/ses*

If so, try 'sg_ses /dev/ses<n>' and look for that NAA (or a close number to
it (within 3)). I'll assume you have an exact match.

Then try 'sg_ses -A 0x500304800021bf31 --set=ident /dev/ses<n>'

That should cause a LED to flash on the disk carrier of the damaged disk.
To stop it flashing substitute "clear" for "set" in the previous invocation.
Post by Dmitry Morozovsky
I tried to find the place in the source which produce these lines but failed :(
Hard reboot, including full power off, was tried, but did not help.
Any hints to diagnose this further?
Ah, and this is stable/10 from Nov 2017
Good luck
Doug Gilbert

P.S. I'm currently trying to recover data from a disk whose heads got
stuck ... so I know the feeling.